Getting new patio doors may not be as complex as a bathroom remodeling project, but the right patio doors can be the bridge that your indoor and outdoor living spaces need. In today’s post, JLR Home Renovation shares a quick guide to choosing new patio doors for your home.
Factors to Consider
Patio doors come in many shapes and sizes that can make the selection process an overwhelming one, unless you already know what you’re looking for. To get you started, here are some factors that you need to consider.
- Architectural style. Traditional home styles tend to have common features like Colonial-style grilles and hinged sashes, while modern homes have sliding patio doors because of its streamlined look. However, mixing elements between these two styles are not unheard of. Your home’s architectural style may also dictate the colors, finishes and door hardware.
- Swing space. If you are considering getting a hinged door, don’t forget that it will require space to swing open. Otherwise, a sliding door would be more suitable.
- Energy efficiency. Patio doors are mostly made of glass, which means a significant amount of heat can pass through it and cause an increase in your heating and cooling bills depending on the type of glass you choose. When choosing patio doors, ask your remodeling contractor about the energy ratings labels, or at least make sure the patio doors are ENERGY STAR®-certified.
The Two Patio Door Styles
Despite the wide selection of options, there are only two patio door styles to choose from.
- Hinged patio doors feature hinged sashes that swing open. The best-known example of this style is French doors, which feature two sashes that meet in the middle. Other versions include bi-fold patio doors that feature more than two sashes that open like an accordion. Single-sash patio doors are also an option for smaller openings.
- Sliding patio doors feature sashes that slide on tracks. Unlike sliding windows that slide on grooves in the window frames, sliding patio doors have roller systems on the bottom tracks to support their weight and aid in opening and closing. Some styles, like bi-fold patio doors and French sliding doors, are sliding doors with borrowed elements from hinged door styles.
JLR Home Renovation is one of the most trusted remodelers serving Elizabethtown, Hummelstown and Hershey, PA. To learn more about our patio door installation and basement remodeling services, give us a call at (717) 361-6175. You can also fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment.