Before beginning any sort of home remodeling, it is highly recommended that you come up with a realistic budget for the entire project. This budget should ideally cover professional fees, labor charges, materials, furniture, and supplies. In most cases, it’s also smart to plan for unexpected costs.
While most professional design-build companies will help break down the remodeling expenses to keep everything as transparent as possible, there’s still the possibility of sneaky hidden costs. These refer to the unexpected fees you’ll have to pay for factors related to the remodeling that only pop up during the process. Professional remodeling contractor, JLR Home Renovation listed the five common unexpected costs during a home renovation:
- Electrical Work: Contractors don’t include electrical work costs in their quotations because they are usually outsourced to a third-party electrician. If you are not sure whether your contractor has included this or not, ask him to give you an accurate estimation based on your expectations. This estimate should cover each cost. It doesn’t need to be an exact amount, but you should at least know how much budget you should set aside for the renovation.
- Bathroom Accessories: Bathroom accessories such as storage heater, shower screen, mirror, rain shower, towel shelf and other equipment may appear as small expenses to you individually. However, when you add them up, this can cost extra. Again, your contractor may not include this in the original quotation. Hence, before hiring a bathroom remodeling expert, get a rough estimate on how much installations would cost.
- Aircons, Curtains, Window Grilles: The home appliances and décor items such as air conditioners, curtains and window grills are not included in the quotation that your contractor gives you. An aircon installation can cost you a lot more, so discussing the same with your contractor beforehand can save you from future surprises.
- Painting, Haulage and Cement Screeding: All these are the costs that can’t be avoided. Therefore, make sure that your contractor has included it in your original quotation. This will save you from incurring extra costs in the future.
- Lighting Fixtures: Correct lighting can change the entire ambiance of the home. A home renovation is incomplete unless you have used the right types of lighting in every nook and corner of your home. Ask your contractor about the type of lights you need to decorate your home and the estimated budget required for that.
Meticulous planning, organization and being as financially prepared as possible are essential before embarking on home and basement remodeling. Don’t forget to keep an eye out for any grants that might help cut costs along the way.
Whether you are ready to get started on your home renovation or you are just starting the planning process, JLR Home Renovation is ready to lend you a hand. Fill out our contact form to reach us online. You can also call us at (717) 452-4962 to schedule a home evaluation. We serve clients in Elizabethtown, Hummelstown, and Hershey, PA.