Whether you’re installing new windows or investing in kitchen remodeling, it’s always best that you remain vigilant while the renovation is ongoing. This is because when you’re having your home remodeled it’s possible that you may encounter a few surprises that can affect your project’s progress as well as your budget.
Here are the five surprises you need to look out for when remodeling your home.
1. Floor Vent and Light Switch Cover Replacement – When planning a remodeling project, many homeowners don’t plan for things like replacing the floor vents and light switch covers. However, if your renovation plans involve ripping off the walls and floors, chances are you’ll need to have them replaced.
2. Incomplete Plans – Some homeowners fail to properly plan ahead for their remodeling project, which more often than not results in costly mistakes and additional unplanned expenses for the other areas of your home that also need attention. To avoid such a surprise, be sure to work with an experienced designer and a contractor to come up with a thorough, affordable and reasonable plan for your project.
3. Permit Neglect – When you’re replacing your siding or remodeling your kitchen, it’s important that you get a permit before you start work. Otherwise, you may find yourself surprised by the fines you’ll have to pay when a building inspector finds out that you didn’t obtain a permit before you went through with your remodeling plans.
4. Asbestos – The discovery of asbestos in your home is an unpleasant surprise that you need to have a professional handle as soon as possible. This is because asbestos is a serious health hazard, so you need to have it removed from your home immediately by an experienced professional.
5. Structural Flaws – Structural flaws can come as a surprise because they’re not usually detected until the demolition is complete. However, you can look for clues such as cracks, settling floors and crooked door jambs. Once you see these clues, it’s best that you adjust your plans and contingency funds accordingly to repair the flaws in your home’s structure.
Planning to install replacement windows in your home? Simply turn to JLR Home Renovation, the leading professionals to approach when it comes to home remodeling and siding installation services. Give us a call at (717) 361-6175 or fill out our contact form to get a FREE estimate. We serve homeowners in Palmyra, Elizabethtown, Mount Joy and other nearby areas in PA.